I've recently begin teaching WunderKeys (go to this site for more information about lessons, to find a teacher near you, or to become a registered teacher) Preschool Piano Lessons to four students. I love this program and all the games and ideas that are offered for teachers. The first book has supplemental activities for each lesson as an extra for teachers, but there are just a few ideas for Patterning Games at the beginning of the lesson. I've been trying to come up with ideas and searching the web, but have not come up with much!
I've also been putting together lesson plans for Summer Music Camp for all of my ages this summer, and ran across quite a few games that use a spinner of some sort. I found this awesome, magnetic spinner that can be used on whiteboards and have been stalking it on Amazon! It was just a little more than I wanted to pay for the spinners, so I waited!
A few weeks later, I was perusing the aisles of The Dollar Tree and I found individual magnetic spinners for $1 each!! I almost shouted for glee right there in the teacher section of The Dollar Tree! I bought four different spinners, just to be safe!
Well, of course, I had to come up with a Patterning game that used my new spinner!
Here's what you'll need to play:
- White board
- Magnetic Spinner
- Magnetic laminated WunderKeys Finger Friends
How to Play:
- Place WunderKeys Finger Friends in a circle with spinner in the middle (like a clock).
- Have child spin the spinner.
- Where the spinner lands, have child say the name of the Finger Friend and show you the finger to go with it.
- For more advanced students, have them play a key with that Finger Friend on the piano.
Hopefully this will give you a ton more ideas for WunderKeys lesssons, or even your piano lessons! Best of all, it only cost $1!