Monday, June 17, 2019

Painting Brick/Faux Brick


We have this very badly done brick backsplash in our kitchen!  My daughter kept calling it faux, but it’s actually real brick in the tile form.  That being said - it’s ugly!!!  Whoever installed it, didn’t use a tile cutter to put the tile into place, they broke the tiles by hand to get them to fit.  In addition to that, there’s about 2 fingers distance between the tiles on all sides and at some point, someone has gone in and painted white between the tiles to clean it up, but also painted all the edges of the tiles, making the spaces seem even bigger.
All the colors and patterns in this kitchen, added to all of the cooking we do for a family of 7, just makes my head hurt!  We plan to redo the entire kitchen at some point, but for now, I’m trying to resist painting everything that’s going to be torn out in the future.  The linoleum flooring is very busy and brown and tan, the counters are yellow, with cigarette burns in it and we have three different tones/kinds of cabinets in there.

I decided this week to break out my paint that’s on hand and whitewash the bricks to give them a more neutral look until we have the time and money to rip them out.  I should have done this the moment we moved in 2 years ago!! I love it so much, well at least as much as I can love a very bad brick/tile job!

The kitchen is so much brighter and clean looking to my eyes!  Now I’m trying to resist painting all the walls, trim and cabinets.  Not to mention, the counter tops that are driving me insane!
 Ok, I’ll try to take a breath and wait patiently while my piano studio gets finished first, but I may just paint the trim - it looks terribly dirty next to the nice clean bricks!  Please tell me what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!