Sunday, May 27, 2012

Everything is Permissable

All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.
- New American Standard Version (1995)


I haven't really quoted scripture in my blog posts, because frankly, I'm not usually attracted to posts that are preaching.  But I wanted to include this scripture in my pursuit of healthy living.  This scripture has really been convicting me lately.  Here's another version this verse:

 Everything is allowable to me, but not everything is profitable. Everything is allowable to me, but to nothing will I become a slave.
- Weymouth Bible

Why do I bring scripture to this post?  Well, I find myself exercising, drinking water, becoming more active, eating less of what I usually eat, and yet I still haven't lost a pound.  In the back of my mind, I keep feeling the Lord leading me to the thought that I need to make some sacrifices in my food.  That possibly, some things are just not permissible to me right now in my pursuit of healthy living.

And worse, in the back of my mind and convictions, God might actually ask of me the permanent sacrifice of some food forever!  Yes, I said it, forever I may not be able to have the sweets that I love and feel rewarded by!  But that is just the problem.  I feel rewarded by foods.

Although sweets are allowable, even permissible, the real question I ask myself right now is, "Is it profitable?"  Does it benefit me?  Especially in a time when I am trying to be healthy and ultimately lose weight.  But worse, is my focus about the food and filling my issues with the food rather than with God?  That is the question that I am trying to wrestle with right now.  I'm not there yet, but I do feel myself going towards abstaining from my favorites for now, maybe even forever...

What about you?  Do you have foods that you know you shouldn't, or can't have, or it causes you to fail in your healthy living?  Are you willing to make a holy sacrifice, even of food?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!