Friday, March 15, 2013

Boy's Birthday Gift

A very special 10-year-old friend of ours was having his 10th birthday last weekend.  He's had a recent fascination with cooking and baking, so I thought it would be fun to make him his own apron for a gift.  Of course, when he's not in the kitchen, he's in the wilderness camping, so I loved this fabric when I found it. (I would have used my scrap stash, but all I had for camouflage, was in Packer's green and yellow, which just isn't in high demand in Idaho.  I'll save that for another of my boys who love the Packers another time!)

I was originally looking for camouflage  but apparently in our area, camo is in high demand, because the only thing I could find was pink!  Not a good thing for a 10-year-old boy! 
 I have not tutorials or instructions for this one.  I literally laid the kid's apron I liked and had on hand on the material and cut it out about a 1/2 inch larger.
 I was hoping to make a chef's hat, but I didn't have enough material from a yard to make one.  I came up with the brilliant idea to make a couple of potholders.  I used a towel for the pad inside.  Hopefully it will be thick enough not to burn precious hands.  Everything that I read on the internet said it would be just as good.
 I did add this one extra, loops on the neck side, so he could adjust himself.  I got the idea from HERE.  She has a great tutorial for making an apron, too.  I used here directions for the neck strap.  I also planned on getting the Chef's Hat directions for Making It Fun.
I added a double pocket on the front, too.  You can also check out that fabric, too.  Because it's the same color as camouflage green, from a distance, it looks camouflage.  Close up, it has the wildlife all over it.

I'll be sharing with the blogs in the right column.  Please leave me lots of love in the comments!  Thanks for stopping by!.

6 comments:

  1. Very cute! I found you on the Country Homemaker Hop...over at Heidi's. I would love to invite you to join also in my Creative Blog Hop Party for crafters of all kinds...
    http://dollysdesigns.blogspot.com/
    I am a follower of yours now and love your blog..
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I need to make one for the big kid in my life. He can't grill with out wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great present! Love idea and the gorgeous fabric!Thanks so much for sharing it. Would love to have you visit me sometime. Visiting from Faith, Grace and Crafts.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW CUTE!! Oh I know he loved that gift (or will...)!! Great job on that, in fact brilliant!! I'm so glad you joined me for my party and shared this wonderful idea for boys. Having two boys and no girls made my life fun and if I'd thought of this idea I'd have had two happy boys who might have learned to cook!! After a friend of mine took red fabric one afternoon when my eldest was about two, and made a quick Superman cape from it for him, he was soooo excited. He wore that thing daily, and I had to make another for his brother when he came along! Then they grew and needed larger ones! SO, sewing for the boys is something that CAN be loved!!
    Thanks so much for sharing such a cute idea with us for my party!!
    Blessings,
    Doni

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very thoughtful and creative gift - who knows, he may be a budding chef! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!