Sunday, October 9, 2016

Egg Surplus = Frozen Meals

My chickens have been laying a ton of eggs lately.  We raised 11 new chicks this spring to add to our hens and they've begun to lay.  In addition to that, we gained 9 new to us hens, because someone realized they aren't farmers after getting them.  Added to our 28 hens already we have an Egg Surplus!
 
I've tried to find a few more customers for eggs, but right now, I'm just not finding them.  So, I've been coming up with creative ways to save them for the future.  The first thing I made were breakfast sandwiches for the freezer. 
 
For this recipe, you will need:
  • eggs
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • butter
  • sliced cheese
  • deli ham
  • English muffins and/or bagels
  • saran wrap

First, spread butter on the inside of each muffin or bagel.  I think you could leave this out, but I wanted them to taste really good.  Sprayed muffin tins with butter spray and cracked an egg in each tin.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  Bake the eggs at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Let cool on a cooling rack.
 Stack sliced cheese, deli ham and an egg on each sandwich.  For the bagels, I put a slice of ham on each side of the bagel to keep the rest from falling through the bagel hole.

Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap if you are planning on using a microwave to eat it.  You could wrap them in foil if you plan to bake them in the oven.


I put the sandwiches into the bags from the bread and ziplock bags to store in the freezer.

To eat: cook in the microwave for 2 minutes on high.  This is such and easy way to have breakfast ready to go in two minutes!  Our family enjoys them for lunch or dinner, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!