Sunday, September 30, 2012

31 Days - Day 1: Decide to Do a Craft Show


The first step to having a craft show is to decide to have one.  I've done a few over the years, but for very different reasons.  Some of the reasons to do a craft show are:

  • Make extra money for a season
  • Start a new business
  • It's always been a dream to sell your handmade items
  • Your crafting has gotten out of hand, and you've made too many things
  • You want to promote your Etsy or internet craft selling business
  • You love to go to craft shows, but never buy, because you can make that too.
Whatever the reason or reasons for wanting to a craft show, I think that it's a good idea to find a reason behind wanting to do a craft show and keep that in focus as you get ready.  You can easily loose sight of your vision while getting ready for a craft show.  If you are not fully committed to your reason for doing a craft show, you really shouldn't do one. (Trust me, I've done craft shows with people that aren't fully committed to why we were doing a craft booth together and found them in the end to be a detriment to our booth.)

My reason for doing a craft show this year is to help my daughter raise funds to go on her own 4-H awarded trip to Japan in a couple of years.  In addition to helping her raise funds, this will hopefully promote and give our Etsy Shop more exposure locally.

What are your reasons for doing craft shows?  I'd love to hear why you decide to do craft shows.  Please stay tuned for my posts every day in October as I get ready for a craft show during my 31 Days to a Craft Show series.

For a complete list of the 31 Day Until A Craft Show series and links to each post go Here to Day 31.
1.

3 comments:

  1. Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craft Shows scare me! I never know if I'll have enough to sell, is it worth the money investing to make up items to sell, will my items sell, is a craft show hokey...So many things I could use to talk myself out of trying one! I'm following along with you now! I want to see how this works for you, because you might just be able to give me the courage to try another craft show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay i have found another creative 31! So happy to say hi and find you in blog world! I am a professional artist and my 31 is 31 days of creativity! i am your newest follower as keen to see all your days during 31! jane xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!