Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Any Berry Jam

Since I have been showing you so much of what we've been canning, lately (sorry, my crafting is on hold for the canning!)  I thought I would share the recipe I've been using for the berries we've been finding out in the mountains.  The one thing I've learned about canning, is that it's not a good idea to vary the recipes, as there is a lot of science put into canning.  I prefer to do water bath canning (ok, I'll admit that I am afraid to do the pressure cooker), so the food I can needs to have a high enough acidity to not need the pressure.

People often ask me if I make low or no sugar jams or jellies, but hey, I love the taste with the sugar, so why change a good thing?  There are recipes for no sugar, but it's not what I'm sharing today.  Besides that, I love to give a jar of jam for a house warming or Christmas gift here and there, and who wants to get something sugar free for a gift, besides a diabetic?  Sometimes it's just nice to have the real thing.

Our most recent mountain find are blackberries.  I have definitely in the past not given blackberries the credit they are due!  Well, maybe the blackberry pickers the credit, anyway!  These things are pickery (not a word, but should be!)!   Those bushes not only pick at you, but they seem to reach out and grab you too!  We've been picking out pickers for days afterwards.
Yummy - Goodness!
 I had to share with you what happens to our Yummy-goodness when you turn your back for just a moment!
 And of course, the final result of an evening of Jam making.  It actually isn't as bad as it may seem, but it does take some time for all the cooking and boiling to happen.
I am going to share with you the recipe that I use for the blackberries and also for the huckleberries that we got awhile ago. You can go HERE to see that post.  The book I use is:


Berry or Black Currant Jam


Makes about seven 8-ounce jars
  • 5 cups crushed blackberries, boysenberries, dewberries, loganberries, raspberries, young berries or cooked black currants (see the book for more hints to make the currants)
  • 1 package regular powdered fruit pectin
  • 7 cups sugar
  1. Prepare canner, jars and lids.
  2. In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan place berries.  Whisk in pectin until dissolved. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently.  Add sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.  Boil hard, stirring constantly.  Boil hard, stirring constantly for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and skim off foam. (Spread it on the fresh bread you just pulled out of the oven. Did I mention that to start bread baking before starting this project?  Sorry!)
  3. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.  Remove air bubbles and adjust head space, if necessary, by adding hot jam.  Wipe rim.  Center lid on jar.  Screw band down until resistance is met , then increase to fingertip-tight.
  4. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water.  Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes.  Remove canner lid.  Wait 4 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.
Check out the blogs I love to link up to in the right column.  Also, I love to hear what you think and if you find this helpful.

7 comments:

  1. Wish I had a nickle for every gallon of blackberries ! have picked in my life time. Make good pie with a big glop of ice-cream too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book too. It's my harvest necessity these days. Cute picture of the baby. I guess you really can't turn your back. lol. Thanks for the inspiration. I need to find some blackberries to can since my new vines didn't produce anything this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was growing up, we canned everything. I still love anything that is handmade from scratch. I love blackberry jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmmmmm! wish I had some right now! love the little blackberry bandit face ;)

    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your jam sounds and looks delish.....love the baby's photo...way too cute! Just joined your site, #20, woukd love to have you visit me at pinecreekstyle.blogspot.com
    Have a wonderful evening....NeeCee at pine creek style

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMY!! I want to can, but have never done it before, so thanks for the inspiration!!! I am a new follower of your blog and invite you to join mine as well, would love to see you there! http://flourishwithavintageflair.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing this delicious berry jam recipe on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!