Friday, March 30, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal

Until a few months ago, I hardly ever made breakfast for my family.  We were on the night shift, so often would stagger getting up and then I never wanted to cook first thing.  I was able to get boxed cereal for around $1 a box, so I wasn't very motivated to do anything else. 

Then I decided I should try to cook breakfast for my family.   I had heard that making oatmeal was an inexpensive and healthy to make breakfast for my kids.  The problem for me was nightmare experiences eating oatmeal as a kid, made oatmeal, extremely unappetizing!  When cooked on the stove top, old fashioned oatmeal is really gross, tasteless, and the texture is something that I will not soon get over!

I went on an endeavor to find the great tasting, yet family friendly oatmeal.  After quite a few unsuccessful attempts at crock pot and stove top oatmeal, I discovered Lynn's Kitchen Adventures!  She has been a life saver with her Baked Oatmeal Recipe!  I can't thank her enough for sharing all the different flavors that she makes.  Here's a place to start trying her versions:

I cook this every day of the week, because it takes me about five minutes to throw together and then 25 minutes to cook (we are at a higher elevation, so you should only have to cook it 20 minutes).  This is my version of two of our favorites - Baked Oatmeal and Homemade Cinnamon Rolls.  My pickiest eater gets cranky if I don't make Baked Oatmeal, as it is more like eating cake, instead of cereal.

 

Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal

  • 2 TBS butter, melted
  • 3 cups oatmeal (I use 1/2 cup Old fashioned  oats and 2 1/2 cups quick oats)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  1. Put butter into a 9x13 pan.  Place pan in oven and preheat it to 350 degrees. Leave pan in until the butter melts and remove.
  2. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a bowl.
  3. Put into warmed pan with butter in it it.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

While the oatmeal is baking, make a simple frosting by whisking together 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 tsp. milk.
Here's what the oatmeal looks like before adding the frosting.
Drizzle the frosting over the top and enjoy!  Mr. Right enjoys his with milk on it, but the rest of us like it plain.  It is wonderful later for a snack too!

What do you do for breakfast?  Please let me know how this works for you, and don't forget to visit Lynn and all over her wonderful Baked Oatmeal recipes!  I will be linking up to the blogs over in the right column!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Just found your blog and it looks like a lot of fun and I look forward to exploring. Love for you to pop on over to my blog Life on the Funny Farm sometime to say hi to a fellow farmgal! I'm at http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to tell you we tried this recipe last week and absolutely loved it. My children wanted it again the next today! Thank you for sharing it.
    Blessings,
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!