Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Zucchini Overload

Do you have an overload of zucchini right now?  I have to say, I don't.  For whatever reason, my plants just didn't produce anything this year.  Of course, I really love baked goods with zucchini in them, so I picked up some at a local farm for $.25 each this week, to be sure that I have plenty for the winter.  
I shred all of my zucchini, yellow and green with my Kitchen Aid and my shredder attachment into my big bowl.   I especially like to shred up those huge, overgrown zucchini's!  Those big seeds get mixed right in.  If the seeds are too big, I'll just take them out and use the flesh only. Then I measure out the shredded zucchini into freezer bags two cups at a time. 
I like make all my freezer bags flat for my freezer, so I can stack them neatly and in less room.   I've found that most of my favorite recipes use two cups of shredded zucchini, so I'm ready to go all winter long for our muffins, breads and cakes.
 
I'll share one of my favorite recipes: Green Muffins!

 

Green Muffins                

  • 3 Cups flour
  • 1 TBS baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray muffin tins with Pam
  2. In a mixer, beat eggs  for 1 minute.  Beat in milk, oil, and sugar.  Stir in zucchini until well blended. 
  3. Add dry ingredients a little at a time. Mix will be a little lumpy.  Spoon batter into muffin tins.  Sprinkle with sugar.
  4. Bake 20 minutes, or until muffin tops are golden brown and spring back when you touch them.  Cool muffins on a rack.
 
I will work on sharing my Chocolate Zucchini Cake recipe here too, so stay tuned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!