Friday, November 27, 2015

Zucchini Cake

I'm not sure if it's a Midwest thing, but it seems that many of my Western friends don't know about freezing zucchini or what to do with all of the zucchini from the garden, like Midwesterners do.  So lately, when I bring a dish to pass at potlucks, my friends are surprised at how good my zucchini recipes are.  You can check out how I freeze zucchini and one of my favorite muffin recipes Over Here.
One of my favorite zucchini recipes is this Chocolate Zucchini Cake.  I get a ton of compliments when I bring it as a dish to pass on how moist and delicious this is.  I'm not usually a fan of cake, but this one has a crunchy chocolate chip topping, so no frosting needed!  I love that you don't have to make a separate frosting for it to taste wonderful.
 
My Mom used to make this when I was young.  I remember how proud she was that she found this recipe and tried to lie to us about it being a real chocolate cake, and yet she had snuck in the much dreaded zucchini on us (she was always looking for ways to use up all of her zucchini without us knowing!). 
 
Back in 2010, I started to search for the yummy recipe that has a very distinct taste and crumb topping.  After much trial and error (fortunately, my family likes zucchini!) I was able to find a recipe on www.cooks.com HERE.  In case it every disappears from there, I'm going to put it here for you as well. 
 

CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE 
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. oil
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 c. grated zucchini
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. sour milk
4 tbsp. cocoa
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. baking powder
Combine all ingredients. Pour into greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Then sprinkle with a topping of 3/4 cup each chocolate chips, brown sugar and chopped nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!