Monday, October 22, 2012

31 Days - Day 19: Tagging

Tagging is one of my favorite things to do, aside from actually crafting.  Ok - I find this to be a very crafty thing to do.  This is the tool that I think is essential:
Tag Maker
I love this tool and would love it it you would consider purchasing it from my website HERE.  I have used this Tag Maker for many years and probably hundreds of tags and it is showing no wear and tear!  It makes a 2"x3" tag that is a perfect size for writing not only the price on it, but also a complete description.  I plan to use my tags as my way to track what I have sold, so it's nice to be able to put a clear description of the item on each tag.

I make the tags out of paper bag, but I have also made them out of cheap 3"x5" note cards, depending on what I have on hand.  I did find that the paper bags in our area in WI were too thin to work very well.  Here on the prairie, the bags seem to be more sturdy, so that's what I use.

Although my tags are simple and cheap to make, they look professional because they are all uniform and consistent   I tie them to my items using a piece of twine.  As I showed you on Day 9, that is my business card underneath the tag.  When people purchase the item, I plan to tear off the top tag and leave the business card and the twine there.

You can be as creative as you like with this, but be sure that you are not taking away from the main thing, making your craft to sell.  Your tags should be something that is quick and easy for you to do.  You could purchase your tags premade.  I like the look of these a lot:
  I just think they look industrial and simple look of them.

Miss Mustard Seed's Tutorial
Miss Mustard Seed did a tutorial on printing her tags out on cardstock and then using a punch to cut it out.  Just a side note, she used a separate hole puncher  to make the hole, but the Creative Memories Tag Maker has a built in hole punch that lines up the hole in the exact place for you! (Also, did I mention, it helps my family out if you use my link?)

I even saw an example of cutting out tags from felt and then hand embroidering them.  I'm just not going to share, because that makes no business sense in my opinion.  It would be time consuming and for something most people throw away.

Passing the Time Tutorial
Passing the Time also did a nice tutorial to make gift tags from a spirograph and a Scallop Circle Maker.  You could stamp just about anything in the background if you'd like.

One thing that I haven't talked about is making a sign instead of individually marking items.  I have to say, you need to be careful about using this as your only pricing technique, because the sign needs to be clear, concise and where everyone can see it!  I think it helps to have signs in addition to price tags (and I know that price tags can be tedious to make), but tagging each item can make it easier for your customer to know your prices.  I find it intimidating to ask for a price on something and then feel bad when I don't buy.  I don't think I am alone in this thought.  I've walked away from things I might have purchased, just because I can't figure out a price without asking.  I just don't want to bother if the seller didn't bother!

How do you tag and price your items for your Craft Show?  Check out my other posts in this 31 Days Until a Craft Show. For a complete list of the 31 Day Until A Craft Show series and links to each post go Here to Day 31.

1 comment:

  1. I love little personalized tags on homemade items. So personal. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!