Wednesday, October 3, 2012

31 Days - Day 4: Set Goals

So far, here are the posts that I have done for this years 31 Days Challenge:

Today, I'm going to talk about an often forgotten part of starting any kind of money making endeavor: Goal Setting.  I am very guilty of missing this step of starting projects myself.  I think about what I want to accomplish, but fall short of actually writing it down.  I truly believe that if you don't write down your goal and keep it visible, you won't achieve it.  You have to be purposeful about setting and meeting goals. One of my favorite quotes is:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." - Winston Churchill

Even if you are doing a craft show for the fun of it, you should set some goals.  Here's the Wikipedia definition of goal:  a desired result an animal, person or a system envisions, plans and commits to achieve—a personal or organizational desired end-point in some sort of assumed development. Many people endeavor to reach goals within a finite time by setting deadlines.

Goals should be:
  1. Specific
  2. Measurable
  3. Attainable
  4. Realistic
  5. Have an End Date
These are such important components to keep in mind when setting a goal.  If you set a goal to make a million dollars in a day, you might not make it and then feel discouraged and give up on your goal.

So here goes...I am going to set a goal for my craft show coming up.

  I would like to make a profit of $500 at the Grangeville Holiday Craft on December 1st, 2012.

This goal:  
  1. States specifically how much I'd like to make
  2. Is measurable in dollars - $500 to be exact
  3. Although I would love to make more like $2000, I think that $500 is more attainable.
  4. Closely related to #3, it's more realistic to make a profit of $500.
  5. My end date is December 1, 2012.
What is your goal for your craft show, craft business, or even your life?  I would love to hear how these guidelines help you to set some goals!

For a complete list of the 31 Day Until A Craft Show series and links to each post go Here to Day 31.


5 comments:

  1. Where is the vintage for Vintage Thingie Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy visiting craft shows. I not into crafting tho. What area was your header made?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your ideas are great! I'd love to be able to take my stuff to a show some day. Keeping things attainable is the best way to make it happen, and you can always raise your expectations easier than not reach them at all!!
    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us for Pearls and Lace Thursday. I'm so glad you came by!
    Doni

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really good. Having expectations when going into such a project helps you to know how to lay things out and how to prepare! Wonderful. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!