Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My Free Ladder

I have this rickety old ladder that I picked up for free at a rummage sale.  I think it has great character and have been using it to hold shoes in my bedroom since moving to the prairie.  Unfortunately, as nice as this idea looks on Pinterest, it just didn't work for me.  First of all, my shoes are not all heels, so the flatter shoes fall off if bumped.  Also, the bottom rungs are accessible to little ones, so I'm not sure I will ever recover all my shoes.  So as I'm getting ready for my craft show, I know that this ladder would be key to my display.Here, she is.  Doesn't she have great lines?  I even love all the  different paint marks on it.  Mr. Right thinks I hold on to it to annoy him.  He hates it.  It doesn't work and it stands there in our room and ready to drop a shoe at him!  So, I painted her.

I have to admit, I don't miss all the markings and the bleached out color of the wood now that I dry brushed white on her.  What do you think?  Won't she make a great back drop to a craft show now that she is one color?  I've got boards and another (more stable, usable ladder) to put together a long shelving unit.  I think a few well placed nails on her will help me hang some wreaths to sell.

Stay tuned to more on my free ladder.  Also, be sure to check out all those blogs I love to link up to in the right column.

8 comments:

  1. What a great ladder - love it! Visiting from Pearls And Lace. I hope you have a lovely day.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    www.theenchantingrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I can just see your hubby walking into the room, glancing back and forth to see if anyone is looking, then scowling at the ladder of shoes!! He then shimmies past it trying to steer clear of it and at the last second, his backside makes the 'slightest' contact with the ladder, and DOWN FALL ALL THE SHOES!!!
    Glad you're finding another use for it!!!
    thanks so much for sharing with us for Pearls and Lace thursday!!
    Blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well described! You must be in the corner keeping an eye on Mr. Right! I'm thinking he's glad to see it go out! Little does he know it will make it back into my house eventually! lol

      Delete
  3. Oh yes hubs just don't have the appreciation for architectural freebies do they?
    It's so weird as when you started to talk about how you had painted "her" and were going to use her for a display rack I was thinking of how you could do exactly what you said. You have to be a creative person I think to appreciate an old free ladder. Maybe there's still hope for your hubs. (teehee)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one use of a ladder I never would have thought of. Very creative and good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Can't beat the price, either! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new look is great. It will be wonderful for display.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, sometimes (most of the time?) men just don't get it :) Love the look of your ladder and think you will be able to make it work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!