Friday, October 19, 2012

31 Days - Day 18: Assembly Line or Item by Item

Assembly Line or Item by Item - that is the question.  I don't know that I really have a clear answer for this question about how to make your items for the craft show, but I do want to at least present to you the pros and cons to both, so you can decide.  Possibly, you may be a little like me and do a little of each.  Some of the crafts necessitate doing it item by item, while others, you may save time by doing it assembly line.

Assembly Line

Ok - so maybe your house doesn't look this bad, but I know that when I am trying to get a bunch of the same items done, it does feel like it.  

Pros:

  • Save time by having one step going at a time.
  • Conserve materials - often you can plan out better by doing all the cutting at the same time.
  • Faster - You don't have to stop to go to a new step over and over.
  • More efficient - you can get into a pattern while assembling.

Cons:

  • Backlog can be frustrating - I find if I have one step I don't care to do as much, I may be reluctant to get it finished, and therefore backlog.
  • Squelches Creativity - I find if I can't see a project to the end sometimes, I have a problem with a lack of creativity.
  • Boredom - I struggle with this when making the same thing over and over, I get bored easily and want to work on the next project.

Item by Item

Pros:

  • Creativity grows - sometimes even if you are seeking to make items the same, you may personalize them a little more by making each one from start to finish.
  • Personalized Items - items can turn out more personalized if done individually.
  • Keeps Interest - you're not as easily bored this way.

Cons:

  • Time Consuming - it can be more time consuming to do different steps separately.
  • Less Efficient - you may have to take out new materials for each step and then clean them up (of course depending on your craft.)
  • Easy Distractions - this is one of my biggest downfalls!  I get so easily distracted when I go start another part of a craft.
I'm sure there are more that I missed.  Maybe you know some from experience.  I'd love to hear them all.

For a complete list of the 31 Day Until A Craft Show series and links to each post go Here to Day 31.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!