Wednesday, October 10, 2012

31 Days - Day 9: Plan for Future Business

Before going to a craft show, one of the things that you need to do is plan for future business.  Year ago, I sold Mary Kay, and I remember one of my leaders saying that if my business cards weren't floating in the lake, that I wasn't giving out enough business cards.  Having a business card available for people to take and also put with purchases is very important.

Besides having my business cards out for people to take, I plan to have them tied onto each of my items with the price tag.  I plan to leave them with the item when people buy them.

 Here's my price tag (more about that soon) and you can see that business card poking out behind.  I will just tear off the price tag for my records and leave the rest.  Quick and easy, and I'll know that everyone of my products will have a card on them.
To get my business card on the tag, I just punched a hole and attached it behind the tag.  I also stamped "Thank you for your business" on the back of my card.  It just adds a little extra.

What to have on your card

You should try to include the following on your card:
  • Name of your shop or business
  • Etsy shop address
  • Your name
  • Phone number
  • Blog address (optional)

How to make your cards

  • Vistaprint -  This is the company I used, because they give you 250 business cards for free.  This is a quick and easy route to go.
  • Photo Card made with Storybook Creator 4.0 - I make all my headers and even the 31 Days picture at the top using this program.  For a business card, I copy two of them into a 4x6 photo and then send them to Walgreens or Walmart to be processed.  When I get them in, I just cut them in half and I have a 3x4 picture card that looks great!  I wait for a sale or freebies to get these done.
  • Home Printer -  You can buy these perferated template and design your own on your own printer.  I have to say, I personally think these are not as professional looking, but are certainly an option.
  • Create your own Card - hey, this is wide open!  You are a crafter, be crafty!  I've seen people sew across their cards, I've seen people attach ribbon or lace to it with a sewing machine.  Here's a post to get you started: 51 Creative Ways to Make your Business Card Stand out.
One note, if you're a crafter, you can really get sidetracked with this for a project, so be sure that you create a business card that won't take very long to make or cost too much money to make.

Make sure you check out my other posts in this series: 31 Days Until a Craft Show.  I love to hear your input, so please share any more ideas you might have to Plan for Future Business.

For a complete list of the 31 Day Until A Craft Show series and links to each post go Here to Day 31.

6 comments:

  1. I used Vistaprint for my first cards and was pleased. I got just what I ordered. Then I found MOO... When people ask what I do (I make chidlren's clothes), they often give me a blank look. With MOO I was able to pull product images from my etsy shop and use them as one side of my card with my contact info on the back. I do pay a little more for these, but with an established shop and a growing local business, the payoff is enormous. Folks can see the quality of my work the moment I hand them a business card. Remember your card is often your first impression!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of MOO, so thanks for the tip. I will definately check that out for the next round! That's why I love doing the photo cards, because I can incorporate personal pictures are part of my information, too.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Oh thank you so much for sharing this info with us! I am on my way to look up MOO right now!
    Blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was good advice - and this is a great idea! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think to plan for a business is to think it's plastic business cards in advance..what do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!